Esmeril Racing Turbo Kit

Discuss any information on turbo charging or super charging the RX8.

Moderator: zoom

Esmeril Racing

Re: Esmeril Racing Turbo Kit

Post by Esmeril Racing » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

zoom wrote:
Esmeril Racing wrote: 1) You guys will know installer rates far better than I so a $2000aus is probably accurate. We still recommend people install it on our own because we've found the following happen: a) many non-rotary shops do not read the install guide and cut corners since they think they know what they are doing b) the install is very easy and those who install it on their own follow the guide very carefully...problem free

2) Not that you are stating otherwise but we are very clear that the Microtech base map provided gets the car started and lets you run it very rich out of boost.

3) No Water/Meth is required we just recommend it over 7psi. Many customers are running at 12psi plus without it but they are tuned well. Water/meth is more of a safety net at lower psi levels...it can't hurt and if you make a mistake in tuning your engine is more likely to survive it.

4) We are first working on a Microtech solution for the SII...the MAF based tuning will follow on the SII but we know there are more challenges for the SII and the Microtech is a proven, reliable tuning solution where the stock ECU can't fiddle with injection/ignition (besides shutting it down if you trip an error such as different wheel speeds for front/back).

Best Regards,

Esmeril Racing
1) Do you want it done cheaply or properly? I understand that you are saying for the typical home wrencher its pretty simple, but for those who aren't (the vast majority that would be looking at your kit) it will be this much extra to install properly.

2) You make my point very very nicely. Who the heck wants to be driving around on a pig rich tune? with fuel cost at $1.50/litre (nearly $7 a gallon) it needs to be tuned to run appropriately as a daily driver.

3) Im confused here. This is pretty much standard on any FI engine.

4) Once again avoiding the specific question being asked. The SII cars (at least the AUDM ones do) have a safety mechanism built in which triggers a CEL if more than (I believe) 250g/sec of air is seen over the MAF. Unless you are unplugging the MAF (in which case you will get a CEL) you are going to get this "To much air" CEL regardless of MAF or MAP based tuning. Have you found a way to over come this issue.
Andrew,

We are not trying to contradict you or dismiss what you have to say, we are honestly just trying to answer any questions people have and give insight into experiences we've had with the RX-8 with or without a turbo kit. Your experiences may be different and some of what we are stating may not apply to aussie RX-8s, that is why we appreciate your feedback on our posts.

We'll clarify so what we posted makes more sense:

1) Most turbo kits are difficult to install and require various modifications to the car to make it work. The reason ours is so easy to install is due to: a) a very open engine bay and easily uninstalled stock components thanks to Mazda's engineers b) this let us engineer not just a turbo kit but a system of installation that is very easy...I'd be happy to send you the full color install guide pdf for you to review. It isn't magic, it takes a lot of time...a full weekend of working all day long...but it is easy to follow along and not make mistakes.

-Another note...in the US the RX-8 is very inexpensive so many customers are buying the car used for $10,000usd (that includes taxes)...so they want to save money and install it on their own. Installing it is actually fun to do and you get to know the car so we'd still recommend installing it on your own even if you had the money to ship it to the US and have Esmeril Racing install it then ship it back :).

2) As you are suggesting Ideally you'd have a tuner tune your car after the kit is installed, let it break in, then do a final tune. If a tuner costs $250 for each visit, fuel costs around an additional $80 for the break in period, potentially you are saving $170. That isn't perfect science but it is close.

3) Just wanted clarify so that no one thinks they have to run it with a meth/water injection...some tuners think the RX-8 tunes like an RX-7 so meth is not needed in the 15psi range, with the higher compression of the RX-8 we highly recommend it.

4) We have never suggested that you wouldn't throw a CEL. In US cars this causes no changes operation and is something to expect with a turbo kit that produces over 300whp in an RX-8. You can modify the intercooler piping to eliminate the cel but since a cel will not adversely impact the operation of the Microtech it is not needed. With a MAF based tuning solution we will have a specialized intake pipe to provide a proper reading for the MAF. There are Microtech tuners all over Australia so we'd probably still recommend a Microtech for you guys.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Esmeril Racing

zoom
Post WHORE!
Post WHORE!

Post by zoom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Aaron,

I am in no way saying you are contradicting or dismissing my posts. What I dont like is people trying to over simplifying and misleading. Your cost example is perfect example. You can pick up a used 04 at the moment for about double what you are paying. The cost to rebuild in the event of a failure is probably also double what it is there. I agree 100% with points 2 & 3 and is the reason why I recommend 9/10 PSI max for a daily driven car.

On the last point, I am not talking MAF v MAP based tuning. With SII cars, regardless of using the microtec you still have the MAF wired into the ECU. If you dont, you will throw a CEL. If you add FI and that causes the MAF to register > 250g/sec (I believe thats the threshold) of air it will throw a CEL. I am trying to find out if you have seen this and if so have you found a solution.

Regards

Andrew

Mazda RX8 Club Australia | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

broady_42
Validated Member

Post by broady_42 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:18 pm

when do you expect that you will have the intake pipe ready for map based tuning?

with the COBB, what will be needed for safe tuning with this set-up? is there going to be a pre-install tunes for the cobb?
will it come with a run in tune etc ??
will it just go off the datalogging
or what will be needed to have it 100%
also would love to see the install papers!

Turblown

Post by Turblown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

rotorenvy wrote:the biggest problem with top mount kits is the steering column on Aus cars. getting the pipe up to the turbo and a dump pipe back down it is a very tight fit.

the turboblown kit delete's the aux port motors and I belive it is an open to atmosphere dump pipe on the waste gate (screamer pipe). completely un-roadworthy so no point even trying for a engineers certificate.
Just to clarify Our turbo system doesn't delete the aux port motors, and it can be ordered with a recirculation dump tube with flex section.
Previous best on an unopened 60k mile stock 13B-MSP ; 425rwhp... shooting for 500+rwhp soon

ToFuBoX
Validated Member

Post by ToFuBoX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:45 pm

omg we are getting invaded, shoo u foreigners shoooooooooooo

BAD RX

Post by BAD RX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Will this turbo kit fit in my 04 rx8. Anyone know the prices ? I want to buy
Bits at a time not all in one go. Or any other ideas with a turbo set up.
I dont want huge boost and want a bolt on my stock motor job.
Any thoughts anyone.. would luv a top front mount set up. .

zoom
Post WHORE!
Post WHORE!

Post by zoom » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

I dont see why it wouldn't. Not sure how you would buy it in bits though unless they offer a way. Part of the issues people have had with this kit is fitment. The last thing you want is pieces that aren't fitted with each other before shipping to you.

Greedy turbo is a very nice entry level kit for reasonably cheap but that can be upgraded in stages.

Mazda RX8 Club Australia | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

skc
Validated Member

Post by skc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Check out the Mazfix kit as well
skc
Hymee Supercharged (200kw at the wheels)
Lakeside 1:02.02
Wakefield 1:12.04(NA) 1:11.36(FI)

IVN13B
Validated Member

Post by IVN13B » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

For the price to obtain then fit one of these turbo kits ude be better off buying my car already done and save urself $10k!!! [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363756849.486433.jpg[/attachment

Im open to offers!!!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363756849.486433.jpg

IVN13B
Validated Member

Post by IVN13B » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

IVN13B wrote:For the price to obtain then fit one of these turbo kits ude be better off buying my car already done and save urself $10k!!! [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363756849.486433.jpg[/attachment

Im open to offers!!!
Ive spent close to $20k on the motor and turbo setup alone, all work is done u ad the value if the car and its worth $40k +! It can be urs for alot less if the price is right!!![WINKING FACE]