ProCharger supercharger kit

Discuss any information on turbo charging or super charging the RX8.

Moderator: zoom

ToFuBoX
Validated Member

Re: ProCharger supercharger kit

Post by ToFuBoX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:37 am

Nslave

To Be Honest, the stock knightsport IC does indeed work, however it is subject to heat soak, if you have any front vented hood or a custom intake duct made specifically for that IC, you will see lower water temps due to nothing in front of the radiator.

What i can recommend, if i didnt go to the water 2 air system is to,

A: Modify Bonnet to allow air to escape ontop of IC (Treat it like a Top Mount)
B: Construct a duct and drill hole to allow cold air straight to IC
C: Custom Fab a AEM Intake to sit outside your engine bay for the S/C System.

spinner
Validated Member

Post by spinner » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Lots of very usefull information here guys, thanks very much.
There are several other areas I need to address before going FI, clutch, 2nd oil cooler, upgraded brakes etc.
Overall do you know if these kits are as good as their advertisments say they are?
"The ingenious and decidedly weird Wankel rotary engine works by using internal combustion to bounce a fat metal triangle around inside a hollow metal kidney bean, which hula-hoops around a central shaft to generate power"

ToFuBoX
Validated Member

Post by ToFuBoX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Depends on the particular kit you had in mind, generally japanese kits underestimate their potential to ensure you get your power figures.

What sort of upgraded brakes are u looking at? To be honest all you well need is as max pads+ braided lines, and rotors to slotted when you need to replace them.

spinner
Validated Member

Post by spinner » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 pm

It was the ProCharger kit I was looking at purely for its perceived simplicity & supposed ease of installation & removal, not outright power.
Brake upgrade would be just pads, braided lines & rotors to start with, maybe 4 piston front calipers further down the line.
"The ingenious and decidedly weird Wankel rotary engine works by using internal combustion to bounce a fat metal triangle around inside a hollow metal kidney bean, which hula-hoops around a central shaft to generate power"

skc
Validated Member

Post by skc » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Stock brakes are really good and more than adequate for street use. For track use I found project mu front discs and DBA rears with project mu pads all around.

This works for me and I really push by car when I am at the track. Good sway bars and suspension will help as well.

I normally do a mod and track it several times and then when I am comfortable with the gain then I look for the next mod that will improve my lap times.

As a next mod I now need better rear end grip. One option is a GT wing or create negative pressure with under body panels.
skc
Hymee Supercharged (200kw at the wheels)
Lakeside 1:02.02
Wakefield 1:12.04(NA) 1:11.36(FI)

nSlave
Validated Member

Post by nSlave » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm pretty keen to tackle a S/C setup if I can get hold of a centrifugal unit for a good price. Something different to the turbo setups I'm used to.

Tofu, PM sent.

SKC I might have missed it, but is that coolant, oil or intake temps at 90 degrees? I hope that's not intake temp because that would be crazy high with an intercooler. Coolant for mine at the moment it's about 80-90 at night, during the day average of 95. And that's N/A!

ToFuBoX
Validated Member

Post by ToFuBoX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 am

PM Replied

It is most likely coolant temps, if you are getting 80-90 at night, i presume this is stop go traffic?

Cous if it is open roads, there is something seriously wrong with your cooling system.

skc
Validated Member

Post by skc » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:01 am

I have a oil temp gauge at this stage. In normal driving the oil temp will be around 70 degrees and with a bit of hard driving it will move up to 80 and may get to 90 on a hot day with hard driving and then sitting in traffic.

I most instances it will sit at around 80 once it has warmed up.
skc

tiptoe
Validated Member

Post by tiptoe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am

There are better ways for more rear grip than a massive wing... Are we talking rear grip around a corner, corner exit, or straight?

Snap, crackle, pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

skc
Validated Member

Post by skc » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 pm

tiptoe wrote:There are better ways for more rear grip than a massive wing... Are we talking rear grip around a corner, corner exit, or straight?

On the straights the car is perfect however I need grip around high speed corners and undulating tracks. At this stage I am looking into a splitter that will restrict air flow under the car thus giving negative pressure under the car leading to more grip.
skc

tiptoe
Validated Member

Post by tiptoe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 pm

I doubt u will reach speeds to make it truly effective.

I suggest messing around with suspension settings. Also adjustable sway bars may help.

Also...wider rubber.

I'm sure u will find these more effective than an aero peices at the speeds we are talking about

nSlave
Validated Member

Post by nSlave » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes the coolant temps I mentioned are stop go traffic that I get at the moment in Sydney's current weather.

Splitters would make a difference even if minor and barely noticeable, and of course it's effectiveness really depends at what speeds you're going at. Obviously the faster the car is moving, the more it's effectiveness. Is it money well spent is a different question though, I'd rather go with wider tyres

ToFuBoX
Validated Member

Post by ToFuBoX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:05 pm

to combat coolant in stop and go its the themostat you want to have a look at, a upgraded radiator will simply bring down the heat faster when you get good cruise driving.

So you'd want to tackle fan speed and themostat for a street driven car first and see how it goes.