Help Please

Regional Forum for all in QLD

Moderator: zoom

banestrider

Help Please

Post by banestrider » Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm

So I have had my RX-8 for over a year now and love every minute of driving it. However, I have been having lots of Carbon problems. I would like to meet up with another RX-8 (manual) owner so that they could show me how to drive the car (you know when it is best to change gears and what not), maintain/care for it, if they live on the north side who they recommend for services and some general all-round advice. Thanks Bane :)

tiffany

Re: Help Please

Post by tiffany » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:49 am

I'm planning to buy one as well and would also like to talk to any rx8 that could help me....

Nathan1066
Validated Member

Post by Nathan1066 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:04 pm

The main saying is...

A redline a day keeps the carbon away...!

In other words these engines are designed to take high RPM. Not to be kept at 9000rpm constantly but you can use your entire rev range often.

At least once per day I take mine until the rev warning beep tells me to shift. Usually in 2nd gear when entering a 80km zone or freeway entry.

Don't be afraid to do it :)
Black 2004 6 speed manual + luxury pack - Mods - Greg Mildren full re-build, Magnaflow (decat) E.T. exhaust, high flow fuel pump, aftermarket K&N air intake, Revs dyno and re-tune, Ric Shaw Cooling mod, Streetuned triple gauge cluster, rebuilt gearbox :) 150RWKW

Nathan1066
Validated Member

Post by Nathan1066 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 pm

If you are having really bad carbon build up you may have issues with your coils or oil metering pump etc...
Black 2004 6 speed manual + luxury pack - Mods - Greg Mildren full re-build, Magnaflow (decat) E.T. exhaust, high flow fuel pump, aftermarket K&N air intake, Revs dyno and re-tune, Ric Shaw Cooling mod, Streetuned triple gauge cluster, rebuilt gearbox :) 150RWKW

Prime
Validated Member

Post by Prime » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Send me a PM mate. :)
RX8 - Wakefield: 1:15.50 | Lakeside: 1:04.49 | QR Sprint Track: 1:05.38

Nocty
Validated Member

Post by Nocty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Not sure if you're still seeking advice (yeah, I'm a few months late to this party...)

Nathan's advice is pretty much spot on. Let it beep at you once it's warmed up properly once a day and that will help keep the carbon away. Check your plugs - they're a pain to get to compared to some engines, but they need to be kept clean and fresh. Check them constantly for a while, as in every week at the least. If they're oiling up, you might have an OMP problem. If they're caked with carbon and gunk, then your coils might need replacing. Mazda Australia are legendary for overcharging for coils, so you might want to look elsewhere for them. Run good fuel and oil in the engine (Mazda Rotary Oil is the only "official" one to use, but others have used different oils with varying degrees of success/for different reasons).

As for recommendations, there's three places in Brisbane I know of; two are northside (Rotary Motorsport in Brendale and Automotive plus in Aspley). Mazfix is in Underwood (near Logan City) and they've done all the work on my car since I bought it new with one of their turbo kits (long story). Mazfix tend to be a polarising name (some love them, some hate them), so will just say that they've done alright by me and to make some calls and decide for yourself.