Two original wheels and tyres to borrow or hire?

Regional Forum for all in SA

Moderator: zoom

soundawake

Two original wheels and tyres to borrow or hire?

Post by soundawake » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Hello gents,

I'll try to keep it brief - My other used to own a 2004 RX8 before she passed last year. I couldn't afford to buy it and my stepdad couldn't afford to keep it, so he had to sell it.

Now we are both in a better financial position, and have tracked down the car and we want to buy it off the person that currently owns it. He lives in Murray Bridge. I went and checked out the car today and it seems ok but I want to take it to Paradise Mazda to John Jefferies and get a comp test and inspection done on it before I buy it.

The kid who owns it is happy for me to pick it up and drive it down there and back, problem is - the rear tyres are completely bald. Front tyres *just* ok. He offered to put new tyres on it, but that could take some time til he has the money for it, and, he will likely buy the cheapest shittiest tyres he can find.

So basically I was wondering if any members here have any spare wheels with tyres lying around their garage that I could borrow/hire for a day then return, so I can put them on the car so its driveable.

Anybody?

Mr_Porter

Re: Two original wheels and tyres to borrow or hire?

Post by Mr_Porter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 pm

I might be able to help i have two stock rims in the garage.

only thing is i think one of them has a flat.

ill have a look tomorrow for you.

soundawake

Post by soundawake » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Mr_Porter wrote:I might be able to help i have two stock rims in the garage.

only thing is i think one of them has a flat.

ill have a look tomorrow for you.
Very much appreciate the reply, but John Jefferies at Paradise Mazda has organised something for me, just this afternoon. Talk about going beyond the call of duty! Great service.

John
Validated Member

Post by John » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

That's good news, and a very accommodating service manager, let us all know how the comp test turns out.

Nathan1066
Validated Member

Post by Nathan1066 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 pm

John Jeffries is a legend :)
Black 2004 6 speed manual + luxury pack - Mods - Greg Mildren full re-build, Magnaflow (decat) E.T. exhaust, high flow fuel pump, aftermarket K&N air intake, Revs dyno and re-tune, Ric Shaw Cooling mod, Streetuned triple gauge cluster, rebuilt gearbox :) 150RWKW

soundawake

Post by soundawake » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:02 pm

John wrote:That's good news, and a very accommodating service manager, let us all know how the comp test turns out.
Comp test wasn't great - the results marginally less than they were 12 months ago.

With the figures converted to 250rpm cranking speed - (actual cranking speed 200rpm)
Rotor 1
670, 670, 680 kpa
Rotor 2
720, 710, 740 kpa

The starter motor is also pretty much fucked and would benefit greatly from a 2kw starter. If the starter motor isn't replaced I'd be looking at an engine rebuild sooner rather than later... with a new starter I might get a couple of extra years out of it. Coils and plugs are fine.

The RH engine mount is sagged and the LH is beginning to wear too. Also needs new tail light seals.

So all in all, not great. I showed the printout of the inspection report to the owner, he looked very disappointed. He's only had it since April and he paid WAY too much.

We're gunna head back up to Murray Bridge next sat and make him an offer. It will be several grand less than what we were originally going to offer before we got the inspection done.

John
Validated Member

Post by John » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Cool, keep focused, this car means a lot to you.
Stay headsmart.

lockey

Post by lockey » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:22 pm

you're welcome for the wheels haha Jon git em off me!

sad to hear about the results :( hopefully it all works out for you!

soundawake

Post by soundawake » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 pm

lockey wrote:you're welcome for the wheels haha Jon git em off me!

sad to hear about the results :( hopefully it all works out for you!
Oh cool, I get to thank you directly then. Thanks very much!!!

Yeah if I do get the car I'll chuck a 2kw starter motor on it and hope I get a year or two out of it before having to budget some cash for a rebuild. It still hot starts fine even with a terrible starter, so its got some life in it yet.