It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TXATEUs black RX8
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:05 pm 

So.... I ah.. bought a jeep

Still have the RX8 too. Long story, picks to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm 

So the wife's car has been suffering a shithouse electrical issue that basically ment that the car could break down at any time. In fact, it happened 3 times with really bad timing. So the wife said enough was enough and we needed a new wip. We checked out the usual SUVs and almost bought a Kia. NEK MINUTE we bought this black thing.

Surprisingly neither of us actually wanted a black car - too hard to keep clean. So I did.some research.into coatings and ordered a DIY ceramic coating of Gyeon MOHS2 which has just landed at my place. This weekend will be spent applying the coat

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 pm 

I also scored this mazdaspeed spoiler off gumtree. From the photos it looks like th real deal! I'll know.more when I get it.to my place.

I'm amassing a few bits a pieces to make the car look better. Still want to find a chin spoiler and maybe eyelids. They're a bit wankish usually but not too bad on an RX8 as per below image

Cars going to an auto elect tomorrow,.I've given.up on diagnosing a drain the the battery. I suspect it's linked to the head unit or amps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 pm 

My wife bought me a new polisher for father's day so I made good use of it over the weekend and gave the car a good cleanup. It's been a year since I polished the car last.

To start, I washed the car with a car wash (no wax) and dish washing liquid. The dishwashing liquid strips the wax off the car showing how truly bad the paint is. I noticed that's have a area of crows feet on the bonnet tester size of a 50cent piece. Absolutely devastated. I'll have to repaint the bonnet later. I also noticed how bad the scratches in my clear coat are. It changed my whole plan for the weekend! I was going to put a ceramic coating on but realised I'd be wasting my time. New plan, do a wax coating.

Attachment:
IMG_20170910_204519.jpg
IMG_20170910_204519.jpg [ 22.71 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

TheImageImage
First step was a clay bar. As I did this a year ago, it came up pretty clean. I then used the new polisher and Maguires compound for cutting. after a test run I noticed it barely made a difference. I found a cheap cutting compound I had at home and tried that too with more speed and laps over the panel. It was better but the marks were too deep. I may use a 2000grit sandpaper on the car next time.

After the cut, I used mothers polish. After the polish I used a Maguire canaba wax.

It came up a lot better in the end but the crows feet, stone chips and deep scratches have left me feeling disappointed in the finish. I think I'll be repainting a few panels in future.

The plan was to use Gyeon Mohs on the carImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:39 pm 
Validated Member

DONT wetsand. Mazda paint is notoriously thin from the factory. You are lucky to have 80 micron average over the car. To put that into perspectuve most professional detailers will stop heavy correction at anything under 100micron. Im currently sitting average 50 micron.

At most a medium compound with heavy polishing pad is enough on the soft black to remove almost all defects in a single pass. If you have any remaining 90% of the time its due to the microfiber cloth putting them back in during the compound removal.

The Rocky is a good machine to start with. Adequate power just loud and vibrates alot. Once you learn a bit more you will move onto better products and more effective compounds than you can get at the local Supercheap.

Gyon Mohs is a decent coating too. Nice choice. Difficult to apply evenly but a nice finish.

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 pm 

Thanks Bob. I remember reading about the lack of clear coat for Mazda. I'll avoid the wet sand then.

I used a high pile microfiber towel. The scratches were already there, way too deep for the compound to have caused. The last owner must have washed it with the worst sponge he had, as the marks are across every panel. I use the two bucket and mitt method and a foam lance.

Can you recommend a good compound? I used what I had laying around.

The Gyeon stuff is amazing. I coated the wife's car in it. The application was.easy but took me 2 full days to apply. I then did a coat of Cure and Wetcoat. I've never seen water bead off a car like their products do. Only problem is that after you pressure was the car, it's already dry again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:12 pm 

This stuff is amazing. You spray it on after washing the car and just pressure wash it off. It has a hydrophobic element to it and makes the water bead straight off the car. Ive used it on two cars now and will be using it on the RX8 after the next wash.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm 
Validated Member

For our paint HD Polish and HD Adapt are great products and wont stick. Couple them with some quality HD Red foam for the polish and HD Green polishing pad for the Adapt. This combo can tackle just about any situation you come across on your own car

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm 

My engine has been experiencing hot start issues recently which I put down to old age. The car has 120k on it and as far an I'm aware it's the original engine.

Before I set off on a path to rebuild I'm giving the engine the seafoam treatment. I followed the procedure set out on rx8 club which is as follows:
1. disconnect eshaft sensor and air pump
2. Plug in hose to vacuum nipple and connect to engine cleaner - I used 5mm clear hose.
3. Crank engine of 10 seconds. Do this twice per chamber.
4. Wait an hour.
5. Add 2 stroke oil to vacuum line and crank engine for 5 seconds per chamber. ( I skipped this and used wd40).
6. Connect eshaft sensor and air pump.
7. Start engine.
8. Rev to 6krpm ~20 times and smoke out the street.

I did this at the in laws place resulting in a few people driving past very slowly and staring. Mother in law though my car caught fire. The smoke was much worse then the photos suggest.

After 10 minutes of running the smoke mostly cleared. I switched off the car and let it rest for 10 minutes, started the car again and it cranked over instantly - no hot start issue. I'll be changing the spark plugs next and doing a compression test next.