It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:01 pm 

Hi, hoping someone can give me some info/help.

My car got smashed into a few weeks ago & is at the panel shop being repaired. See pic below
The motor was running beautifully when it went to them & they have said they had started it a few times since in their hands & no probs.

It is 4 weeks today since accident. The battery went flat so they took it out & recharged it.

They put the charged battery back into the car & it will not even turn over to start now they are telling me.!!!! They have been trying to start it now while it has no front wheels & no front bumper/nose on it...it probably sounds stupid but would that have anything to do with it not turning over at all, would its sensors detect no wheels & front of car so wont start as not safe to drive?

Would it be the security/immobilzer system not allowing it to start? They put the battery back in with the car with the the bits pulled off, bonnet up, no wheels etc....

Any help/ info would be great....the panel shop is being a pain in the arse about it, i am worried they don't know what they are doing with the mechanical side of the car.

THANKS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:50 pm 
Validated Member

Do they have the coded key or the Valet key?

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:19 pm 
Validated Member

Is it turning over?
Maybe the battery is totally rooted?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm 
Validated Member

When my car went it to have the suspension installed, they flooded my engine! Similar situation in that they were moving it around the factory and shutting the engine off while still cold. I'm guessing the panel shop has done it aswell. Then probably ran the battery flat trying to start it and hooked up another battery that doesn't have the grunt required to crank the engine.

Get the battery from your car on charge ASAP (never good to leave them low!) then once its charged, try cranking with that! If it cranks but still doesn't start, search "rx8 deflood procedure", but in short . .

Take out the "fuel" relay in the fuse box in the engine bay
Take out the spark plugs, take note of what lead and plug came from where.
With the plugs and relay out, push the accelerator all the way down and try starting the car. Its obviously not going to start, but this should/could blow out any built up fuel in the chambers.
Before re-installing the spark plugs, check the "sparking-tip" to make sure its not gunked up, possibly even post a pic of it on here for others to asses (I know SFA about spark plug wear/colours etc) and check the white ceramic for any cracks etc

It it doesn't crank with a full battery, check to see if any lights are flashing on the dashboard, if the "wrong" key is used, when in the cranking position, there should be a flashing "key??" Symbol on the dash.

Apart from all that, I can only suggest to check all the wiring etc on the drivers side in the engine bay, particularly because the ECU is on the same side as the damage to your car, and there is also two grounding point on the inner side of that quarter panel, and on on the strut tower area, if any of these are off it could be causing the issue.

Best of luck :)

My Best Lap of Wakefield 1:18:6130
Riding Shotgun in the RX8-SP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 pm 
Post WHORE!
Post WHORE!

Just sounds like its flooded. Plenty of threads here on how to deflood but the basics are remove spark plugs, crank the car a few times (crank for 5 sec rest for 30 sec, repeat 2-3 times) with your foot on the accelerator all the way to the floor (foot to the floor will cut any fuel being injected). This will blow any excess fuel out of the combustion chamber.

Blow the plugs clean with an air compressor and put them back in.

You then need access to a battery with a LOT of Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

Connect the high CCA battery, make sure plugs are in and connected and follow step 1 but after 2-3 goes, try cranking with your foot off the accelerator to see if it will turn over.

You want to make sure you have no excess fuel before you try to actually get is started as if there is any, it will ignite in the cat and potentially damage it. If you can disconnect the cat while your doing this even better.

Lastly remember to rest for at least 30 sec between cranks to let the starter motor cool off.

Mazda RX8 Club Australia | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:52 pm 
Validated Member

Also find out if they jumped it while connecting the battery terminals
They might have fried your ECU...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:32 pm 
Validated Member

70nyd wrote:
Also find out if they jumped it while connecting the battery terminals
They might have fried your ECU...

Ive jump started my car plenty times, id doesnt affect anything

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 am 

Thanks guys for the info,

They have both the transponder key & valet key, & neither will start it. :(
Maybe my battery is just completely rooted, I will ask them to try with new battery.
I will be giving them the info on fixing a flooded engine, maybe they did this even thou i told them about making sure engine is warmed up before turning off.

I will be going back this arvo to see them & i will keep you updated on what is happening.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:06 am 
Validated Member

If its not turning over at all it may be something else like a fuse or relay.

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm 
Validated Member

Is it not turning over at all? Or not firing?

If it turns over but just won't puff to life...it's more than likely flooded.

If it isn't turning over at all, it's something else electrical related

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:00 pm 

It is not turning over at all...it is doing Nothing :cry:

I have asked them to scan it to see if it is showing up any error codes, told them i want to know what the codes are if there are any.
I will post up the codes to you all once i get them so I can get some advice from you all, they said they will scan it today.....mmmm they better do it today, it has been such a stuff around to get the parts up to cairns, now all the bits are here it will not start :evil:

It is making me VERY stressed out!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 pm 
Post WHORE!
Post WHORE!

They've possibly flattened the battery beyond resurrection or they over heated the starter.

Mazda RX8 Club Australia | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:06 pm 
Validated Member

My guess would be it's flooded due to flat battery, pretty common.

I have un flooded mine a few times by cranking and playing with the throttle, but like zoom said it's not really good for that cat. There is a bit of technique to it.

Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/rx8club.com.au

03 Sunlight Silver 6MT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:40 pm 

ok i'll put my 2 cents in

when trying to start it does the key lock symbol flash on the dash? this happened to me last week after come back from holidays. my battery was that flat that it didn't have enough power to turn off the immobilzer. Once you have new/fully charged battery try to hit the key and hopefully the immobilizer will go off.

The above is only if you trying to start the car and nothing at all is happening?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:19 am 
Validated Member

Ivan, you can end up with severe electrical issues if you jump a car with a charger. If it has not happened to you that's very good luck
Does ANYTHING happen when you turn the key (eg can you hear the pump?)
My money is on a collapsed battery cell (no amps) or a burned out starter