DIY - Zaino application

Keeping your 8 looking the best at all times.

Moderator: zoom

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

DIY - Zaino application

Post by BobsRX8GT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57 pm

[D] has asked me to do a guide to the use of Zaino products. First of all, I am not a pro detailer so please dont take this as gospel. I am but a humble enthusiast who likes to keep the cars clean and glossy. Zaino is very concentrated. A little goes a long way. I find an ounce of polish is enough to do the whole car. If you apply it too thick, you will get streaking and it is very difficult to remove the residue. It should almost look like there is nothing on the paint at all. Thin, even layers is what you are after.

The products I use are:

Z18 Claybar, Surface decontamination

Z7 Show car wash, Clay lubricant and car wash

ZAIO All in one cleaner polish, Cleaner with very light abrasives. Will not remove swirls easily

Z5Pro Show car polish, Polish and sealant. Contains fillers to help mask swirls and scratches

Z2Pro Show car polish for clear coats, Paint sealant, optical clarity increased over Z5, no fillers though

Z6 Ultra clean Gloss enhancing spray, Spray detailer allows molecular bonding of layers

Z8 Grand Finale spray seal, Spray sealant, awesome bling effect

ZFX Flash cure accelerator, A must if doing multiple layers. Allows Zaino to cure instantly

Concours 900 Dual action polisher, Probably the best Dual action machine you can get

Lake country CCS pads, Availible from http://www.waxit.com.au and http://www.zas.com.au

Aqua touch Microfiber towels. Great quality, different grades and wont scratch the paint as easily.

If you are using this system for the first time, it is important to correctly prepare the surface to ensure product adhesion and correct bonding.

STEP 1. is to completely wash the car using liquid DISH WASHING soap. Yes, I said dish washing soap.
This will strip the old polishes, waxes and oils from your paint and provide you a clean, contaminate free surface to begin with. Thoroughly rinse the car. No need to dry it yet.

STEP 2. With a spray bottle, mix in a cap of Z7 Show car wash with water. This is the lubrication for Z18 Clay bar. If you have never used a clay bar before, here is a tutorial I used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

Each block of Z18 clay can be broken into 2 bits. This way if you drop one, you haven't completely wasted the whole piece.
Remember, if you drop a piece of clay, throw it out. No use risking the scratches you cant inflict from the tiniest of debris.
Do a panel at a time, rinse, inspect if it is as smooth as glass, move on to the next panel. Once complete, rinse the clay, spay a little lubricant on it and store it in a zip lock bag. This will keep it fresh for next time.

STEP 3. Dry the car and inspect the level of correction required. If there are swirls in the paint you can use Z-PC Swirl remover. I use either Menzerna or Meguires Swirl remover 2.0. If using a non Zaino product, you MUST do a wipe down with Eraser or Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to remove oils, or residue from the product.

Correction can be done either by hand, or machine. I prefer a Dual Action Polisher for all steps. I have found a Orange Lake country pad with swirl remover to be ample to remove defects. Mazda's have soft paint so very easy to go to far and remove to much clear coat. Once you are happy with the finish do your IPA wipedown and move on to Step 4.

STEP 4. Using ZAIO, either by hand or machine (Polishing Pad - White Lake country pad) gently clean the surface to prepare it for the application of the sealant coats. ZAIO has very fine abrasives and is the foundation of the Zaino system (first application). Do 2 panels at a time otherwise it can be hard to get off. If you get streaking, use the Z6 to assist in removal of the residue. Once complete wipe down the paint with Z6. This changes the polish at a molecular level to allow the next coats to bond.

STEP 5. Depending on the colour of your car, either Z5Pro (Dark colours, Black, Red, Blue etc) or Z2Pro (Light colours, Silver, White etc) can be used next. Z5Pro has micro fillers to reduce the appearance of minor swirls. The more layers, the more filling, the better the effect. If layering either Z5 or Z2, ZFX accelerator must be used. Mix an ounce of Z5Pro with 2 drops of ZFX and shake for 1 minute, allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate the polish. Using by hand or by machine (fine polishing pad, Lake country Black pad) Apply thin even layers one panel at a time. Use up and down strokes on side panels, and forward and backward strokes on flat panels. This will amplify the optical characteristics of the zaino polishes. Apply no more than 3 coats in a day. Z6 between coats.
Last edited by BobsRX8GT on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fellow Rotor fans gather now for our daily prayer.....

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

Re: DIY - Zaino application

Post by BobsRX8GT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

STEP 6. Z6 wipe the paint. If you used the Z5 then now do the same with Z2. Z2 has more optical clarity, depth and shine than Z5. I used to use Z5 only but I didn't expect the impact that Z2 had over the Z5. Truly a great product. Application is the same as Z5. Mixing with ZFX is the same as Z5. I must stress though, if you have a black car then DON'T skip the Z5 layers. Z2 has no fillers so it wont hide minor swirls or scratches.

Zaino is designed to be layered, the more layers the better the depth and reflectivity. After 6 layers though you will no longer enhance the gloss, only the protection. Layered Zaino can provide up to 6+ months of protection. With a 1 or 2 monthly top up application of Z5 and Z2 you can increase this to a year.

STEP 7. Wipe down the surface with Z6 and inspect. If streaking occurs, wipe effected areas with Z6.
For the ultimate in gloss and bling, do a final wipe down with Z8 Grand Finale. Z8 is amazing. It will increase the gloss and depth again and gives a blended, wet look finish. It also acts as a sealant to lock in the shine from the Z5 and Z2.

STEP 8. Clean your windows, plastics, tires, wheel wells, polish your exhaust tips and detail your interior.

STEP 9. Find a nice spot close by, take some shots of the car during day time and sunset and post em up so I can marvel at your brilliance with you.
Last edited by BobsRX8GT on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amen

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

Post by BobsRX8GT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS.

Z6 and Z8 is super concentrated. Put it this way, I use Z6 after every wash. I bought it December last year and I still have a 1/4 of a bottle left. Mist onto a clean microfiber and buff gently. Use a dry microfiber to do the final wipe over. Do not allow Z6 or Z8 to dry on your paint, it will streak and look ugly. If it streaks, reapply Z6 or Z8 and buff dry.

Use thin layers. A little goes a very long way.

If doing only 1 layer, ZFX does not have to be used.

Use quality microfiber towels. Supercheap towels will scratch the soft mazda paint. I find Aqua Touch (available from Waxit.com.au) and ZAS ( zas.com.au) towels to be really good. Very absorbent and soft.

Only use Z7 Show car wash. It contains polymers to assist with the longevity of the Zaino polishes and sealants.

Do multiple layers of Z5 and Z2. You really can tell the difference.

Use masking tape over the plastic trim. Zaino will stain the trim a little and can be a bastard to get out.

The final result all depends on your preparation stages. Be sure to get all the contaminates off the car whilst claying, keep it clean through out the process. If you leave it over night, Z6 is your friend, dust off using the Z6 and continue.

Remember to do your wheels as well. Z2 with Z6 will let the brake dust rinse off.

Z2 works well on glass as a polish to remove water etching.

You can put a coat of wax over the top of Zaino if you wish. Allow a day for the Zaino to fully cure then apply a quality carnauba wax (not a cheap off the shelf wax as the finish is much better with Zaino than a cheaper generic product can achieve.) I like Pinnacle Sovereign as a beauty wax, not a long lasting wax.

You have all seen my car before but here are some pics to get you started. This is after a Swirl removal, ZAIO, 3 coats of Z5 with ZFX, 3 coats of Z2 with ZFX and a final Z8 wipe down.

Last edited by BobsRX8GT on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Amen

tiptoe
Validated Member

DIY - Zaino application

Post by tiptoe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Oooooo. I have always been tempted to buy all the zaino products. Can't wait for details and pics.

Snap, crackle, pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

[D]
Validated Member

DIY - Zaino application

Post by [D] » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 am

Woah! Thank you so much for info Bob!

Sorry I thought you already had a write up! :(

The products are clearly the bomb (pun intended) to use, so I'm gonna invest in some and bring her back to life again.

:thumbright:
2005 NC1 Brilliant Black MX5 Limited Edition (Manual)
2004 S1 Velocity Red RX8 Luxury (Auto) - SOLD :cry:

RUKEEN
Validated Member

Post by RUKEEN » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 am

wow that car looks like it just came out of the show room great job Bob
MODS LIST
REVi Intake & Duct Combo + REV8 Exhaust System + RB- Resonated Race Pipe + JCR- Exhaust Header
RB- Suspension Package + Hawk HP Plus Pads + RB- Silicone Radiator Hose Kit + ULTRA Ignition Wires
HKS Oil Filter + RB- AC and Oil Cooler Screens + Zero II Coilover Suspension + Exedy Twin Plate Clutch
Haltech Sprint RE ECU+BHR Coils + Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump+ Racing custom Oil Sump + Lenzo Rims

ramenn
Validated Member

DIY - Zaino application

Post by ramenn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 am

Looks fantastic bob. I used a finger width of z2 (measured against the bottle ) and realized that it was too much :s these products really are concentrated.
2009 VR
- BC BR coilovers - AEM CAI - BHR Ignition System - Whiteline rear/front swaybars - RX8Club Sticker :D -

zeking
Validated Member

Post by zeking » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 am

wow great write up!

looks brand new, good stuff man your car is now my benchmark haha
Brilliant Black 07MT | Wakefield: 1:18.03

Petergly
Validated Member

Post by Petergly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Great write-up, Bob - thanks!
2011 Velocity Red RX8 GT

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

Post by BobsRX8GT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks guys.

I don't know if it is Tapatalk or if I was just tired. Looks like half the process is missing. Step 1 and 2. Ill look tonight.

Edit: Only seems to be on Tapatalk. Not sure what the issue is.

Sent from your mums house on her phone.

Amen

70nyd
Validated Member

Post by 70nyd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 pm

:D
I am going to try this :D

Hamish_023

Post by Hamish_023 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:58 am

I have always been a Zaino fan! Menzerna Powerlock is very similar to the Z2/Z5 sealants but is a bit easier to apply

Although can't be layered like ZFX allows you to
Elite Finish - Adelaide's Finest Detailer
www.elitefinish.com.au
www.facebook.com/elitefinish

ramenn
Validated Member

DIY - Zaino application

Post by ramenn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Drove though heavy rain yesterday and I just couldn't keep my eyes off the water beads flying up my windscreen. Z2 is really worth the effort
2009 VR
- BC BR coilovers - AEM CAI - BHR Ignition System - Whiteline rear/front swaybars - RX8Club Sticker :D -

Shooter

DIY - Zaino application

Post by Shooter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for the DIY, between this and Dan's workshop the other weekend I've started to give it a go on my Mum's MX5 about 2/3 through. Looks great already.

Shooter

Post by Shooter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Well I went out to the garage this morning to finish off the last coats of Z2 and found that Dad had gone for a drive in the MX5 and got it all nice a dirty for me. Thats 5hrs of my life I wont get back. They 8 will probably need to be redone in a month or so. Will give it another go then,