Rx8 in storage

Have your say on the RX8

Moderator: zoom

Meps

Rx8 in storage

Post by Meps » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on something. I have been living in the US for the past 2 years and before I left Melbourne I put my 2005 RX8 in storage in a friends garage in Melbourne. He would occasionally start it and let it warm up just to keep the engine moving. About 2 months ago it wouldn't start. He thought it was a new battery but that didn't help. My brother has now transported the car to a local mechanic (a friend of his) where they've replaced the spark plugs with no luck.

I was the second owner and have looked after it. Warmed it every time before driving, would give it the revs it needs to blow out carbon etc. It has about 90k on the clock and always serviced. Apparently I was told they got it runnng but fire came out of the rear exhaust. One person said they think its running on one cylinder, compression feels low and fuel is going down the exhaust.

I guess my first question is it bad to store an RX8? Secondly, would anyone have any idea what could be the problem or a suggestion on what to do?

cris_adder

Re: Rx8 in storage

Post by cris_adder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Another item to check are the ignition coils...

Driffill
Validated Member

Post by Driffill » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 pm

+1 for the coils..

If they go, it'll just be flooding itself and that explains the fuel in the exhaust and low sounding compression..

Replace the coils, charge the battery and go thru the deflood procedure, maybe even take out the spark plugs and put a little 2-stroke oil in (once it's free of most of the fuel) before you put it all back together (the oil helps to re-build the compression 'instantly').
2004 Black RX8, 6 speed with Red/Black leather interior . . .not as stock as i used to be!
Optima-BHR-Walbro-TEIN+EDFC-Whiteline-RacingBeat-REVi-Speedy-RX8P Twin Oil Coolers-RX8P Sump-EBC RedStuff-RDA-GROM-Navhood+CarPC

My Best Lap of Wakefield 1:18:6130
Riding Shotgun in the RX8-SP

Meps

Post by Meps » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:55 am

:thumbleft: Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it