2 month owners review

Have your say on the RX8

Moderator: zoom

Conza
Validated Member

2 month owners review

Post by Conza » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Wow what a couple of months it has been. An incredible series of set backs for me and this car, I've reached a bit of a crossroads and I've actually pretty much made up my mind, but I'll go through most of my experience and how I got to where I am now. I've reviewed what's below and it isn't perfectly linear or constructed, but I think the main points are all here. Happy to take questions if any.

17th of June, I picked up the RX-8, I was so desperate to have it, I couldn't wait until Saturday, I had to pick it up that Friday night, in the rain. It was a week later than expected due to roadworthy and part delays. So there I was, driving this new car across the north of the CBD. I was so sure I had made the right choice. 9000 rpm in this car is fantastic, it in itself never gets old. I managed to have a dry day or two here and there and enjoyed driving the car quite a bit. I really liked the cruise control, best I've ever used that wasn't radar guided, especially coupled to the brilliant digital speedo, seeing the two wheel arches out of the windscreen, being able to take four 6 foot tall people around in relative comfort, possibly the most feel-some and well weighted electric power steering I've used, such a smooth engine when it's not stressed, the stiffness and lack of roll in corners is really impressive, with the 235 PS2 tyres even spooky, a great gear change, with a reasonable clutch, I'm convinced it's a sports car with few rivals and of excellent standing.

Then unfortunately, the problems began, and before I list them all, many are trivial by themselves and there's nothing really major other than one item, which "should" be fixable by myself ( @Driffill I may need your help if you're able ).

Engine light comes on. It's the P2259 (I've memorised this code), that's ok, I have a new solenoid ready for it, I can just swap that - haven't done it yet nearly 2 months later. In the meantime I clear the code every time it comes up, which seems to be every 3 or 4 drives.

So I get in the car, and I smell the smell of old car, but it isn't an old car, it's the oil. There's a distinct smell of mineral oil inside the cabin, can't smell it out of the cabin. I've chalked this up to the new (old) exhaust that I had fitted, and it was burning off the joining sealant for the first few weeks, it's since gone away or I've gotten used to it.

There are a few other things in this next paragraph, any one of which would be ok on their own, but together they add up *deep breathe*.

The interior door lights are currently a burningly bright blue, so every time you've turned off the car you can't see anything until you've raised your left hand to block the passenger side and moved your right knee over the drivers side. Immediately after this when you take your seatbelt off, it gets twisted - every, single, time, and needs to be untwisted otherwise it doesn't retract properly, meaning when you get out it dangles and can easily be caught by the doors, when it is eventually untwisted, it then retracts slowly (is that just me?). My steering wheel's airbag has a bit of folded cardboard wedged in on its right side, which if taken out picks up any slight vibration the car makes, and amplifies it. The traction control intervenes quite a lot, for example there's a sharp 90 degree left turn off a main highway near my work, I come off the highway at 50/55km/h, take the turn and the traction control flips out every time. The seat angle I could never quite get right, until I got a little pillow for the top of the headrest that moves my head far forward enough, while allowing me to lean the back enough to not be angled acutely in the srat. There are really no storage compartments, anywhere, there's space for a few coins near the steering wheel, two holes for receipts in the doors, space for a cigarette lighter charger in the tray, a secret compartment in the arm rest which for me contains wires, and naturally the rear seats and boot. Unlike Tiff Needel, I don't find that the gear lever is obstructed at all by the hand brake, however the always heated cup holders in vertical layout to the gear selector, mean I'm constantly negotiating between them and the handbrake - they also hide under the arm rest, so you have a choice of one or the other but not both. There's quite a lot of road noise on the freeway, not helped by top gear still being at about 3.5 grand at 110km/h. Why is the turning circle so wide (bad)? Just caster angle? The engine is lumpy at low revs, so when I try to reverse it into my garage, every 2nd attempt I stall it trying to balance the revs against the clutch (it's a difficult manoeuvre in an easy car). I'm reversing it in of course, because I can't reverse it out due to no rear visibility. The key and key fob are separate, which when you have a garage remote as well becomes busy every time you want to open the garage, unlock the car then start the car.

Every morning before work, I roll the car out of the garage, start it up, and wait until the needle is off cold. It's been very cold so some times this is nearly 10 minutes, then I drive away listening to the radio.

Why am I listening to the radio? Well, one of my main things with my cars is listening to music when I drive, I think it's essential, and luckily this car had been fitted with most of the GROM kit already. So, easy enough job, bought the GROM Bluetooth part, and began de constructing the centre console and dash, I watched all of the necessary youtube videos, should be no problem.
But it is a problem. I get in there, pull the CD changer forward, but it doesn't really move, it's stuck. I find that the main wiring loom doesn't appear to have any give, nothing seems to be caught on anything. It's been about 2 hours since I started, I'm over it, I'll try again another day. I put it all back together, turn the car on, and nothing lights up. Weird though, because the radio is still playing. All of the steering wheel controls still work, crucially mode and volume, so I can live with it, and the aircon seems to be set to 17/18 degrees, which is warm enough, can't use my hazards, de-misters, little computer with clock. I've since been back in two more times to see if something was loose but nothing obviously was, god I hope I haven't broken it.

There are other things, the gear shifter is quite scuffed up, all the other projects I've attempted to try have failed somehow, even just acquiring the right parts, I bought a navhood for the Nexus 7 mod, and after a week or so enquired if it had been sent, only to find the seller had reluctantly not told me he 'broke the part trying to remove it', thanks for not telling me. I bought many additional leather covers to un-plastic the car, many of which were fine, a new leather gear boot, some door handle pulls, but the leather visor covers have velcro at the point it rubs on the roof, so they spring out trying to open or close them. The rest need some sort of glue to apply. I bought a couple of new fob units to combine the fore mentioned key fob and key issue, but the new fob didn't make room for the boot release button so that constantly went off, and the new key blades I got cut didn't work properly.

All of the things I was prepared for, the stupid fuel economy, checking the oil every fuel tank, and topping it up every second, basically no real boot, fuel cap being on the other side, indicator and wiper being swapped around, the harsher ride, having a manual gear box, no rear or 3/4 visibility, having no turbo and therefore no torque without revving it above 4 grand... Having no parking sensors (a planned addition), these things I knew about and was prepared to live.

I got a text message today from carsales, first time since I had listed my GTI asking me basically "So, is it still for sale?" and I seriously hesitated to reply yes, but I did, because I hadn't listed the RX-8. But I will.

I can't believe I'm doing it, this was a car I had planned to keep for...ever? Seriously, the amount of prep and energy "money" time, research, obsessiveness. I bought a leather binder just to keep all of the receipts and important history for the car, I spent ~$600 changing the interior to be all leather, then several hundred more on leather pieces to fit along the trim. The Nexus 7 I bought for the Navhood mod, if it had all come together, and if I didn't still have the GTI, maybe in some alternate reality, I wouldn't be regretting not having the GTI, maybe I'd be blissfully happy with the car.

But that was the moment I knew you know. I went back to the GTI after not having driven it in 3 odd weeks. It started like it was yesterday. I know I was prepared for no fuel range, but the safety of it having done 200kms, and knowing I had another 400kms left to go, the radio worked, the bluetooth phone and music worked, the aircon worked, the wipers were so long, elegant, and effective as well as being more automatic, and how I missed not having a rear wiper at all, and all that glass all around me, automatic headlights too, brakes that don't squeak right at the 20% bite point.

This is the true genius of hot hatches, they are every car. Yes, they are slightly common but there's a reason, they're just so bloody good. I know, especially this RX-8, if I had them together on a track I know the RX-8 would set a better lap time, it wouldn't roll nearly as much, or understeer or brake fade, it would grip harder and at 10 10ths feel nimbler. But chucking it around the roundabout on Quarry road, at Casella street at 55 km/h? They're both very good, and if anything, slightly less performance is so much more fun.

I have managed to get the RX-8 to oversteer on a public road, I won't comment the speed, location, or if I did or didn't cross over to the other side, but the speed I was doing and the amount of lock I had before this car let go, it wasn't really that fun, was actually a bit scary - sure - I'm not a master of the vehicle, and at this rate I never will be, but more mechanical grip means higher speeds before things start to slide, and if you're attempting that intentionally, that's more dangerous, and that isn't always more fun.

I mentioned potential regret earlier, but I don't have any. I feel slightly silly, but most of all it's something I had to do, you have to take risks, and to me this has been a rewarding experience, yes, I'll sell the RX-8 and lose some money, have had double insurance and registration, plus all the other bits I put into the car, but if I hadn't done any of this I'd still be wondering "what if?".

The best part of all, I did this because I wanted an RX-8 for a long time, but a lot because I wasn't satisfied with my GTI any more, it had turbo lag, small gear ratios which seemed to change from 3rd to 2nd around town constantly, a lack of traction nailing it at lights, a fiddly cruise control and no digital speedo, but I'm happier now with my GTI than the day I got it, it's putting a smile on my face again, and a few of the projects I've put off doing I'll get around to, this car will probably stay with me now for many, many years to come.

So here I am, wiser, poorer financially, richer in experience and overall happier, with the knowledge of what cars I have, and which car I want to keep. The RX-8 is a great car, and my one especially so, I'm glad I've had a chance to own it, and even more so to have had this opportunity, which ultimately has rejuvenated the passion I had, for my beloved Golf V GTI.
Last edited by Conza on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunchietey

Re: 2 month owners review

Post by Lunchietey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:50 pm

So it sounds like half of your problems are due to poor aftermarket parts (leather covers etc and poorly fitted radio add ons) and stuff ups. You no doubt yanked at your stereo hence nothing lighting up. Yes the plugs are hard but can be done. I've had mine apart twice now, first time was infuriating, second time was 5 minutes. I have removed factory radios from many cars,they ALL suck.

You don't need to warm your car up for 10 minutes before driving, who the hell told you that rubbish? Just drive it gently until warm then feel free to give it some, same as any car...ever. The only thing you want to avoid are short trips where it can't warm up properly BUT if you HAVE to just rev the engine before you turn off the key as the fast spinning engine will clear unburnt fuel (rev gently to 4k and turn off key). Very few people (with healthy battery and starter) have flooded engines this way. In fact very few flooded engines with healthy battery and uograded starter.

And wtf do you mean "roll the car out"? Are you ACTUALLY pushing the car out to start it? REALLY? It's not an F1! Just start the thing, and keep it under 4k and light throttle for aboit 5-10 mins... :roll:

Don't blame the RX8 because you bought a broken part online to mod it. It's not the cars fault.

Who said the fuel filler is on the wrong side. I've owned many cars and they can be on either side. You'll notice most cars have a little arrow next to the little petrol bowser symbol on your fuel gauge, so you always can tell in 1 second which side it is on.

Why is your key and fob separate? They are supposed to be one thing lol. Flip style key. Sounds like poor upkeep (cheap replacement key) again not the car's fault.

It revs high, it's a rotary, get driving a piston engine out of your head. Once warm I usually change around 5k, I certainly wouldn't do that in my FJ Cruiser lol. Any piston engine that revs to 9k will be at 3500 at 110. A vtec Honda(Civic type R) for example is like this.

Take a breath, realise most of your issues are caused by you, crap parts or bad advice and try again lol
Last edited by Lunchietey on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conza
Validated Member

Post by Conza » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:15 pm

Lunchietey, the radio is fragile, it was working before I took it out, but wasn't when I put it back in, I didn't yank it or mistreat it, it's basically poorly designed. Again, it isn't broken, it's all working except any of the buttons. Oh I'm an expert at disassembly now, not to worry, the question is, is it even fixable with a few plugs or has something else gone wrong, and the hassle to get in there "if" I can find it.

Yes I did additional research and eventually stopped waiting 5-10 minutes to warm it up, and just drove it off slowly.

Yeah you've misread this a bit, there's no broken online part involved here, the GROM in the back of it is working, my trouble is finding the bloody thing, and, when I do if the unit works or not.

Who said? I said. I've had european cars until this one, the benefit of right hand drive cars from left hand drive countries is the fuel cap is on the drivers side, which works out better because it's easier to park it against the bowser and it's close to fill it up when you get out, it's clearly the better side, we can skip the history of why they were on their original sides as well for now.

It's not so much rotary versus piston, you identified that the vtec engine behaves a similar way, it's more about engine character, and how that affects daily driving, no one cares on a track you take it to redline and next gear, doing basically that for 1 hour or more every day to get to and from work, it's tiring.

You get a feeling from a car, everything goes well that's great, a few things don't that's fine, but everything doesn't go well? There's got to be more to it, call it karma or an omen, I think it's time to count my chips.

Lunchietey

Post by Lunchietey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Sounds like you DIDN'T do your research, have never owned a high revving vehicle before and have caused your own bad omens.

Guess giving up because of a bad start is all the rage these days lol.

My 8 pissed me off massively yesterday because the oil filter location is hard to get at with big hands. I didn't want to sell the car after, I just went and bought the right tools. Now it's piss easy.

As far as the stereo, there are multiple plugs (small) all around the sides. Pull all plugs and push them back on firmly. It is also a known issue that you can firmly push on the sides of the face and sometimes that cures the blank display.

My display went nuts the other day so I pulled the stereo (that was the first infuriating time lol) and 'exercised' all the plugs to ensure the contacts were clean. All fixed after maybe half an hour.

Don't give up because of something so simple.

If cars give out a feeling, I personally would avoid VWs like the plague, many horror stories about those (expensive repairs, flaky DSGs etc) but you accept that and still get a good feeling. The RX8 is no different. Apart from the stereo and dodgy aftermarket stuff, the car itself has been fine.

Conza
Validated Member

Post by Conza » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 am

No I did my research, thoroughly, understood that it would need revving, but the reality of it is, my GTI is easier because it has a DSG and loads of torque, and it took a month of driving a manual with very high up torque to appreciate what an asset that really is. 210NM at 5500pm vs. 280NM from 1800 to 5000rpm.

Look, you might want to keep yours, that's your business, I don't want to keep mine and I listed the reasons why. It wasn't any one thing, it's the whole car as a package, it can do one thing very well, the rest of it isn't as good as I was expecting.

I have heard of the stereo's known ease of self separation, and I'll need to fix it anyway before I sell the car.

Again, I'm not really that interested in engaging with you too much further if you haven't read the full OP, I didn't want this to happen, but it gets to a point where the feeling's gone, and that's a really sad thing, it's never happened to me with any of the cars I've owned, I still love my first car and know where it is being taken care of by a good owner, I was sad to sell it, the GTI might be my favourite car ever and I'd be even sadder to sell it, and especially below what I think it's worth (its current listing). After 2 months I shouldn't be this down on the RX-8, and I'm not as a concept or as a general car, I just don't love my one any more, so I'm not going to keep it.

I treat cars very well, so my VW hasn't had anything go wrong other than preventative maintenance. You just don't understand, it's not VW vs. Mazda It's "MY" GTI vs "MY" RX-8. Some people get it, others don't.

Driffill
Validated Member

Post by Driffill » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:48 am

P2259 is for the SSV solenoid, as you suspect. its a somewhat daunting job the swap it, but with some mechanical experience its quite easy (DIY's available on the .com forum).

The Oil smell may be from the gearbox, Kev might have more of an idea on that tho.

The interior lights can be changed over easily, IIRC they are my LEDs, and if you think the blue are bright, should see the white ones i have :shock:

The seat belt re-tractor sounds like it is aging, might be an idea to compare to another 8 and maybe replace it, plenty of people wreaking 8's, i might even have a seat belt re-tractor at home? as for the steering wheel air bag, plenty of 8's do it too, the cardboard is a user optional fix. I'm unsure of any real permanent fixes, but there is an outstanding drivers airbag recall, so maybe its something you could request be inspected then.

Storage is a bit tricky, i tuck my iPad in the door, phones etc in the center console and anything else has to go either in the glove box, or on the back seat (but the seats being leather, any sudden stop and the stuff ends up on the floor). also, my "coin tray" compartment is taken by a Tein suspension controller so I've one less storage compartment.

As for the traction control, we may need to take some other 8's thru that corner, you know, to see how they go with it haha :lol: then compare with how your's handles it and see if it is indeed the DSC system coming in early, or if there is possible some other factor at play (faulty sensor, tyre tread?).

Next up i offer you an interesting perspective on your engine and suspension set up. I've spent a significant amount of peso's on my car (on both the engine and suspension) yet at the 2015 RX8 nationals, the car that Conza now owns was able to set a faster lap time than my car (and the majority of other non-racecar entries), and while you can argue that alot of that is the drivers experience, even the best drivers can only get so much out of an aged engine, simply put, its not in bad shape :wink: things like clutching and the feel of a DBW throttle system can take some time to get used to, i'll admit, i stalled my car driving out of the dealership i got it from, tho i blame the steep driveway to road angle, also not having gotten used to revving the engine well and the feel of the clutch were most likely the main factors in my case.

:D Garage door remote..
you need to look into the Mazda "HomeLink" system :wink:
I haven't read into it much, but if its compatible with your Garage door, it could be a handy option for you :thumbright:

The GROM kit should be on the passengers side, under the carpet on the side of the center console :)
There stereo has a single 10mm bolt on the right side of the unit, you attack it from the drivers side under the steering wheel, its a very reflective "goldy" coloured bolt. trying to take the radio out forgetting that bolt, can cause the fascia of the stereo to pull apart from the actual stereo unit, meaning either no lights, or no function at all...
luckily its an easy enough fix, but for now try pressing light against the face (imagine pushing the stereo back in) on either the lower right hand side just above the temp select knob, or on the left hand side, about mid way up and see if things come back to life then :o

For a Nav-hood, MazMorbid or DeanRX8 might be able to help you locate a hood for sale. I got some of the same leather bits you got, I almost went all out and got the lot but when i heard about needing to glue them i wasn't as interested, the shifter gaiter i got is still doing its job perfectly tho :thumbright: The Key Fob: early model RX8's had a Seperate (chipped) key and RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) Fob, it is possible to change over to the newer flip-key type fob, providing your Visteon number (a number associated with the RKE system matches up with the Visteon number used on the flip-key system), however even if your un-lucky enough to need mazda to replace all your locks and keys, they will only replace them with the original style that the car had when it left the factrory.
2004 Black RX8, 6 speed with Red/Black leather interior . . .not as stock as i used to be!
Optima-BHR-Walbro-TEIN+EDFC-Whiteline-RacingBeat-REVi-Speedy-RX8P Twin Oil Coolers-RX8P Sump-EBC RedStuff-RDA-GROM-Navhood+CarPC

My Best Lap of Wakefield 1:18:6130
Riding Shotgun in the RX8-SP

Kev13B
Validated Member

Post by Kev13B » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Sad to see some minor issues have turned you off a great car :(
Wakefield: 1:18.244 - Winton: 1:44.129
RX-8 Club Stickers

zoom
Post WHORE!
Post WHORE!

Post by zoom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:17 pm

The rattling horn unit is a simple fix. There are felt buttons that wore out in the S1. Change them and its fixed. The traction control issues, all of them, sound like you have either staggered tyre setup or unevenly worn tyres. The wheel speed sensors can be very sensitive.

Mazda RX8 Club Australia | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

donger

Post by donger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:49 pm

add a turbo kit to your rx8 ,then you can compare it with a gti, rear wheel drive is more fun!!!!

Conza
Validated Member

Post by Conza » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I just want to generally say, this post may come across as though I'm beating on the car, that's not what this is about. I could've just listed the car, never mentioned anything, and then people might wonder 'hey, how is Kev's old car going?' and find out it'd been sold ages ago. It's about being honest with a great community for an excellent car.
Driffill wrote:Snipped
Thanks for that very detailed response Driffill, all very sensible comments, I will attempt to make the car as stock as possible (hopefully this doesn't tread on too many nerves of anyone here), normal shifter, interior lights, I found similar ones at super cheap auto, the solenoid is obvious too, not sure about the seatbelt retractor. I will get a trimmer friend of a friend to glue the leather on properly, possibly remove some of the velcro too, I think if done properly would lift the interior quite a lot. Radio is a must fix too of course. then why sell it if you're going to fix all the problems anyway? Well...
donger wrote:add a turbo kit to your rx8 ,then you can compare it with a gti, rear wheel drive is more fun!!!!
I think the real truth is rear wheel drive is more capable, it isn't necessarily more fun, and believe it or not doing 100km/h in a 50 zone on the road isn't "fun" to me, I find that the being near the limits of a car is when I'm having the most fun, feeling it roll away from the corner, judging the level of grip. This car is so epically capable, feeling the limits is dangerous.

Oh as for turbos, to each their own, I felt one of my major points with this car was to go back to naturally aspirated. Having experienced what I call 'torque lag', I realise 'turbo lag' can often still end up being more responsive in the real world.
Kev13B wrote:Sad to see some minor issues have turned you off a great car :(
I know, it's very sad, I feel terrible in that respect, I really do, it is a great car, and there's nothing I can say that would ever change that. No person in their right mind, would go and buy a car in the plan of selling it within a couple of months, let alone invest into it like I have, I was sure I wouldn't say good bye to it until at least 2020, hopefully longer. On balance I am... pleased to have renewed faith and love of my GTI, and I have enjoyed the RX8 in many ways, it's far from all bad, far far away from that, I am crestfallen that the RX8 and I won't work out.

I think cars are a lot like girlfriends (or boyfriends), you see them, think they're great, but it's not until you go on a few dates do you know if it's really going to work out.

But, I had to buy this car, I had to know if it would work out, I couldn't be left not knowing, and now I do.

Mazda Sports Corner

Post by Mazda Sports Corner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Rx8s are not for everyone,thats why only a small group of people drive them.
I personally would recommend only a handfull of people i know to buy one.

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

Post by BobsRX8GT » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear. My opinion if anyone cares, not all cars are for everyone. I will admit there are occasions where the RX8 just isnt the car you need. I do find myself wanting to drive the Mazda6 at times because its easier and more fuel economical. I love the 8 and always look back at it as im walking away. I dont like the stress of feeling like its going to get scratched, damaged or hit due to the long nose. I hate coming out to find some @#$&wit in a beaten up POS or even worse, a 4WD with 3 car seats parked so close they couldnt squeeze a piece of paper between them and the rear door of my baby. I hate the feeling when people ask if its quick because it looks so much faster than it actually is.
So I do understand where you are coming from. Really i do and I respect your decision to move on. You have experienced one of the best most underrated cars of all time and it will have left a mark on you be it good bad or indifferent. I suspect it will become your bench mark for handling and feel in future purchases. This alone means it has done good by you and it has left its mark.

Well done and I hope the next owner loves it as much as you, I and all us here do.

Detailing is an art, a gift and a curse. Use it wisely
Fellow Rotor fans gather now for our daily prayer.....

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

soundawake

Post by soundawake » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:19 pm

The indicator and wiper comment leaves me a bit perplexed.. indicator on the right, wiper on the left like the other 99.9% of cars in Australia. Even my new work Ford Mondeo has the indicator on the right side and that was built in Spain. Complaining it's 'swapped'... you're gonna have that complaint about the majority of cars in Australia then.

The fuel filler side really is a 50/50 thing.. I've owned around 10 cars and thinking back, it's about a 50/50 split on which side it was on. It definitely isn't an odd or strange thing for it to be on the passenger side.

It's sad that you haven't had a great experience, and I know what you mean about the car being almost too capable, I really have to be driving at dangerous speeds in the local windy roads in my area to start to feel the limits of the thing.

The TSC kicking in too easily doesn't sound right to me.

Conza
Validated Member

Post by Conza » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:18 pm

soundawake wrote:The indicator and wiper comment leaves me a bit perplexed.. indicator on the right, wiper on the left like the other 99.9% of cars in Australia. Even my new work Ford Mondeo has the indicator on the right side and that was built in Spain. Complaining it's 'swapped'... you're gonna have that complaint about the majority of cars in Australia then.
Not true, not even remotely true, I think you'll find if we researched the origins it will be to do with A. manual transmissions being changed with either left or right hand, leading to B. LHD/RHD country of origin leading to C. wanting to indicate and change gear simultaneously in country of origin will stipulate where the indicator and thus wiper stalk are placed. I've driven many European cars, (I was in Australia at the time as well), all of which had their wiper on the right, indicator on the left, the RX-8 among other Japanese cars I've driven, is reversed, and this was a good thing considering it's a manual car (therefore I wasn't complaining, I'll re-read and/or edit that section of OP to make sure that's written properly) it works well for us being RHD. In automatic cars it doesn't really matter once you're used to it. We'd know a close estimate of the % by the amount of LHD origin vs. RHD origin cars on Australian roads.

EDIT: When I said "All of the things I was prepared for, [the]...indicator and wiper being swapped around...these things I knew about and was prepared to live." I didn't mention the wiper/indicator was actually a benefit in a manual transmission RHD car. Anyway, hopefully that's clear it was a benefit, and still something I needed to get used to.
soundawake wrote: The fuel filler side really is a 50/50 thing.. I've owned around 10 cars and thinking back, it's about a 50/50 split on which side it was on. It definitely isn't an odd or strange thing for it to be on the passenger side.
Ok so this one I have already researched and it will make perfect sense once I describe its origins. Back when we had fuel station attendants and we wanted to refuel, we'd pull up on the side of the road, pop the fuel filler cap to allow the attendant to fill up the car. If the cap were on the drivers side then, the car would need to come up off the road, turn around, and then the attendant's hose could reach the car. You'd then need to turn the car around before returning to the road - so depending on LHD/RHD country of origin, the cap would always be on the passenger's side. In today's world, it is better/easier to have the cap on the drivers side of the car, it's simply easier to park up against the fuel pump due to having better visibility, it's also less distance to walk to when you're filling up the car, going back for your wallet, phone, ect. I have a feeling as well, the majority of cars with the wiper stalks one way, will have their fuel caps on a particular side, but haven't researched that specifically
soundawake wrote: It's sad that you haven't had a great experience, and I know what you mean about the car being almost too capable, I really have to be driving at dangerous speeds in the local windy roads in my area to start to feel the limits of the thing.

The TSC kicking in too easily doesn't sound right to me.
Look I think on balance it has been some great driving experiences, just not as great an 'ownership' experience. If I had the money, I'd store it in a garage, drive it once a month, and not worry about how much fuel it used, sensors going off, whatever else, I'd just park it, come back next month. Reality is, it's a minimum of $3000 a year to own a car, I can't justify having two, my Golf never sold and considering my work circumstances and everything else, the Golf does 'all' jobs better. And as you read above, the sentimental factor has well and truly kicked in with the Golf, so that car and I are on our second wind, it'll be 4-5 years until I consider replacing it (again) now.

I would like to turn the TCS off for that corner to be sure, one of the wheels seems to just hunker down for a moment then release.

Tomorrow (weather permitting) I'm going to do a long drive in both cars on the same roads... Reminds me to charge the GoPro. Won't need traction control for that anyway ;). I'm interested to see if I have more fun in one car than another, and if I can truly go faster in the RX-8. A race driver might be able to, not sure 'I' can (just pre-empting anyone starting a this vs. that speed conversation, let's not).

PJO66

Post by PJO66 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm

OMG. I hope I don't have to read any more sob stories like that one!
I have just bought a series 2 GT (1 month ago) and are loving every second of it. I've gone from more luxurious European cars to this and it's great, even besides all the less refined Jap bits being ever present.
Previous owner added some cool enhancements from autoexe including brakes, exhaust, air intake. The handling is amazing. Can't get in it often enough 😁