Power steering?

Regional Forum for all in VIC

Moderator: zoom

baydogg

Power steering?

Post by baydogg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 am

Hi all, I have just got my car back about 2 weeks ago from it being rebuilt. Done 1200kms on the engine to date. At 400kms the power steering stopped working after washing the car. So I did some research and I cleaned the 2 grey plugs in-between the intake and battery. at 1200kms the same problem happen. Works fine while driving, turn off the car, come back to it couple hours later and turn it on no power steering. Last night when this happen (happen day before that aswell), I popped the bonnet and took out the fuse blew on it and put it back in and it works..... Most likely will happen when I go for coffee in the next hour or so. The fuse located at the battery terminal.

Anyone else had this problem?

Also:
-Dosnt turn off while driving, only when turning the car on, randomly,
-I will be checking the torque sensor plug giving that a clean, and possibly solder the wires part of the PS harness.
-I have a revi-intake which could be possibly crimping part of the cable at the torque sensor connector (read up on this).

jonnie84
Validated Member

Re: Power steering?

Post by jonnie84 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

I had a similar issue. Wouldn't have ps on startup but would come back 5mins after driving. Sometimes would lose ps in turns (scary). Sounds like you've already researched it and know what to look for. The soldering of the wires didn't work for me and I had to get a new steering rack.

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am

jonnie84 wrote:I had a similar issue. Wouldn't have ps on startup but would come back 5mins after driving. Sometimes would lose ps in turns (scary). Sounds like you've already researched it and know what to look for. The soldering of the wires didn't work for me and I had to get a new steering rack.
Cheers. I only loose ps between turning off the car and turning it on again.. never while driving. How much was the new steering rack?

PS: My car was sitting out in the dust for around 3 months..and 2months at the shop.

Driffill
Validated Member

Post by Driffill » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:26 pm

I'd suggest checking the main power loom for damage, and also the sensor loom. I doubt it's from the REVi (I'm not sure, but wouldn't the steering torque sensor be on the drivers side on our car??), if there is damage it may be from when the engine was removed/installed, or could even just be a common wear spot. When I search for the REVi crimping issue, I found a few .com threads with similar issues, one person fixed it with a new loom, one person fixed it with a new rack, and other had no definitive solution.

Another thing to note is that the PS is an electrical system and WILL be affected by battery voltage. If you can, put you battery on to charge and see how it goes once its fully charged.

I've had a similar issue with my steering etc, that was also accompanied by the dash (and stereo LCD) "Resetting" as if the key had only just been turned to "ON". This happened while the engine was running (that didnt skip a beat) and when I was just about to drive away from where I had my car parked, started to turn the wheel (felt normal), then BOOM! Felt just like a "normal" car does when the engine stalls, and the steering goes exponentially heavier. Expect the engine was still revving just above idle (as I was taking off).

The steering did come back after a moment and I was able to drive the car home. Once I got home, I went to line my car up to back into the drive way. Once I came to a stop, I selected reverse, and went to turn the wheel to the opposite look to where I had it, and again the steering went very heavy. I drove off forward and circled the bottom of my court (with no issues) and then drove "nose in" to my driveway.

Now I still don't have a definitive answer for why it happen to me, but I did have a hunch the battery may have had a fault, but when that came to be tested the voltage was quite low, once it was fully charged again the battery performed exactly to spec (I.E. 1000 C.A. @room temp), and from then I haven't had an issue with my steering. All that happened only a month or two before 2013 nationals, so I was eager to find why it happened an prevent it from happening on the track.
2004 Black RX8, 6 speed with Red/Black leather interior . . .not as stock as i used to be!
Optima-BHR-Walbro-TEIN+EDFC-Whiteline-RacingBeat-REVi-Speedy-RX8P Twin Oil Coolers-RX8P Sump-EBC RedStuff-RDA-GROM-Navhood+CarPC

My Best Lap of Wakefield 1:18:6130
Riding Shotgun in the RX8-SP

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Driffill wrote: Another thing to note is that the PS is an electrical system and WILL be affected by battery voltage. If you can, put you battery on to charge and see how it goes once its fully charged.

Cheers. I do have a brand new battery. Its an Optima Redtop R34 800cca. Ill try a few things either tonight or Friday night!!

Driffill
Validated Member

Post by Driffill » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Hmmmm . . ..

Interesting! I just dropped off my optima red top yesterday to be replaced under warranty :( now I've just got to wait and see if its actually a battery problem, or if they are going to try and blame my ~$200 charger lol.
2004 Black RX8, 6 speed with Red/Black leather interior . . .not as stock as i used to be!
Optima-BHR-Walbro-TEIN+EDFC-Whiteline-RacingBeat-REVi-Speedy-RX8P Twin Oil Coolers-RX8P Sump-EBC RedStuff-RDA-GROM-Navhood+CarPC

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Wondering if its something to do with the way these batteries perform. I have the old battery still which is perfectly fine. Around 5months old... Pretty much brand new as well.. I bought the redtop to help eliminate problems.

I can try with the old battery...see how things go.

Driffill
Validated Member

Post by Driffill » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:07 pm

I have faith in the optima batteries (Go the REDS lol) but I have a running theory that the RX8 draws more electrical power than it puts back in, particularly if its only driven on the odd weekend (like mine was), a lot of the issues generally attributed to the RX8 can be a result of low voltage . .

Even the short coil life could be somewhat because of a lower supplied voltage than expected!

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Ill let you know how I go. Ill do the battery tonight! But..upto 1000kms is needed. As it took 800kms for the problem to reoccur.

PS: Ill be at the meetup this weekend!

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Fri May 02, 2014 9:40 am

Coming home last night, Got petrol and turned the car back on....no power steering.

When I got home I plugged in the scantool....no codes. So turned off and on again. no power steering.
Then turned off the car. Locked the car, opened the car (spammed the unlock key)...and bam..power steering.

Nathan1066
Validated Member

Post by Nathan1066 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Mine faulted this morning during warm up. Turned the car off once warm and started it again and the fault cleared. No Pending codes showing with a scan either.

Popped past my Mazda guy, they suggested just to watch it for a while.

I am keen to see what is happening with yours and what the outcome is.

I may be luckier than some as I have a unconditional 4 year warranty. Mazda said that they would just replace the entire rack if required.
Black 2004 6 speed manual + luxury pack - Mods - Greg Mildren full re-build, Magnaflow (decat) E.T. exhaust, high flow fuel pump, aftermarket K&N air intake, Revs dyno and re-tune, Ric Shaw Cooling mod, Streetuned triple gauge cluster, rebuilt gearbox :) 150RWKW

baydogg

Post by baydogg » Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Very Nice ^.

Im changing battery tonight, and doing oil and spark plugs as well. Ill check all the connectors tonight while im at it!

Fingers crossed!