My First RWD? - Yes YES IT IS :D!

Come and introduce yourself to everyone...dont be shy

Moderator: zoom

donger

Re: My First RWD?

Post by donger » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm

i have 98000k on my s2, 12000k ago I had a turbo put on . love the boost !!!!!!!!!

Generation
Validated Member

Post by Generation » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

rangarotar wrote:Hey Conza
I'll give you a different perspective,,,and other members feel free to chime in.

Lots of original engines with 100k give or take a bit, have plenty of life left in them.

And if you have to rebuild yourself,,you'll be able to chose who does it
For me, I think buying a high km one would be an inconvenience with low comp/hard starts, and then you'd have the down time with no car while its being rebuilt.
If it's been built by someone with a good reputation for quality work then you'd have no real reason to wish it was built somewhere else.
2004 Black Series 1, [RXX08] (Sold)

Once you go brap you never go back!

Conza
Validated Member

Post by Conza » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:39 pm

You know you're serious about buying a car when you buy its interior before its exterior. I went ahead and bought a 2007 all black interior, without knowing when I will sell my current car, or even if I will put it in the car I end up buying.
I'm clearly jumping the gun, but it's my favourite interior, seems much more cost effective to swap interior rather than get a car re trimmed, and now gives me the option to buy any car that's mechanically sorted without caring if it has hard plastic on the back of the seats...
If I eventually buy a 2005/2006 MY06 with these seats already in it, I'll potentially swap the superior components and sell what I have left over.

The only catch, which will be obvious, leather interiors only came with electric drivers seats. And after carrying the manual passenger and electric drivers seat, it was starkly revealing. I think before I fit them I'll go get a scale, because I swear the electric seat is ~40kgs while the manual one seemed light as a feather, ~15-20kgs. It's such a difference I'm considering finding a manual seat and just swapping the trims over, if I need to. Again, the manual seat is lower and there's less to go wrong with it.
rangarotar wrote:Snip... Lots of original engines with 100k give or take a bit, have plenty of life left in them.

And if you have to rebuild yourself,,you'll be able to chose who does it
Yes that is one approach, but in today's market, the maths of doing it yourself don't seem to work 'as well'.

Comparing this financially, I'll use a plain figure for a new engine - $9k exactly (if anyone knows a cheaper viable option, let me know and I'll take it into consideration).
On carsales there are 4 cars in the country that I feel are cheap enough to consider buying for an engine rebuild (less than $7500), realistically the one I like the colour of with no sunroof is $7740, that's $16740.
So, its a pretty simple equation, are there any cars that are less than $16740 that have a rebuilt engine? Yes. I'm sure there are more, but I've so far found 5 cars that have a rebuild. They're also far less than $16740, an average of 12280.8 or $4.5k cheaper, for cars that are already sorted, that I can test the engine before I buy.

Where this suggestion makes slightly more sense to me, would be if it were a later model car that didn't need the recalls, had a good engine already, say less than 100k kms, and obviously passed a compression test. I'd get my money from the current engine in use, then when it starts to go (in a few years), I could rebuild my own then. Less money now, more choice later.
But by that stage, rebuilds may be $10-$11k, while at the same time the values of these cars will probably start to drift to an average of $10k as well... A few too many unknowns for me personally.

EDIT: @Generation - Exactly.

Conza
Validated Member

Re: My First RWD? - Yes YES IT IS :D!

Post by Conza » Thu May 19, 2016 7:52 am

3 months later, and I have bought an RX-8 (finally).

Couldn't be happier, I think I'll do a new OP at some point and summarise this thread and talk more about the car.