Car preparation for the Nationals.

MACCAA

Car preparation for the Nationals.

Post by MACCAA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Few tips re car preparation for the Nats.Basically,if your car is in good order and well maintained,you'll be fine.Things to check before arriving:Oil level-absolutely critical in an RX8.Won't hurt to bring some spare also.Brake and clutch fluid level:if you haven't changed the brake fluid for some time,now would be a good time to do so.Take the opportunity to upgrade to one of the better high boiling point fluids like AP Racing,Elf, Motul etc.
Pads that stand a bit more heat if you need new ones would be good.Something like Ferodo 2500's or EBC Reds have always been popular.
A wheel alignment would be a good idea if you haven't done one for a while.RX8's are a very good handling car ,but only if set up correctly.Money well spent.
Check the tightness of the wheel nuts.I don't care if it's just been serviced,or had new tyres fitted,CHECK THE WHEEL NUTS.I've seen many a car at Track days where they've been found to be loose,owner hadn't checked them because car had just been serviced/had new tyres fitted etc.
It's your safety [and others on the Track]so do it YOURSELF and then you'll know it's been done.
Tyre pressures:IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE,GET A DECENT TYRE PRESSURE GAUGE.Ordinary road tyres;start with around 40lb COLD,then check them immediately after a run,and adjust to suit.Do them IMMEDIATELY you come in,not a few minutes or more later.If you don't know what to set them at HOT,come and see me and we'll sort it out.
Semi slicks:the vast majority work best at around 32lb HOT.Start with 28-30lb COLD,then adjust them down to 32 HOT straight after you come off the Track.Check them again after another run,after that they should be OK.
Before Scrutineering:

Remove EVERYTHING that's loose in the car,including the boot.If there's anything laying around in the car you won't be allowed on the Track.
Allow plenty of time to do your paperwork with Licences and Indemnity forms-best way is to download the Indemnity form and have it done when you arrive.There's nothing more time consuming than 20+people milling around in the Office trying to fill in forms.
The more organised you are the quicker we can get everything done and maximise your Track Time.
That's the basics covered:any Track specific questions can be forwarded to me and I'll help where I can.

Doctor
Validated Member

Re: Car preparation for the Nationals.

Post by Doctor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks MACCAA,
any suggestions on where to find the downloads for the forms you mention?

MACCAA

Re: Car preparation for the Nationals.

Post by MACCAA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Try the Wakefield website.Failing that,give them a call and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.