Drivers window not closing

Goodies for inside and outside of your 8, including body kits.

Moderator: zoom

spinner
Validated Member

Drivers window not closing

Post by spinner » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 pm

My drivers window made some horrid noises as it closed the other day on the way in to work. It then went down on the way out of work but that was it. No way was it going back up again.
A quick search on the net revealed that cheap plastic gears in the window regulator are prone to loosing teeth & window not going up & down is the culprit.
So today I took the door panels off, removed the regulators, cracked them open and hey presto missing gear teeth.
Swapped the gear from the passenger side to the drivers side & all good. Got to love Youtube.
Ordered some new gears off e-bay, Mazda will only sell a complete regulator for $200+, so I will put new gears in when they arrive
Attachments
Good.jpg
bad.jpg
"The ingenious and decidedly weird Wankel rotary engine works by using internal combustion to bounce a fat metal triangle around inside a hollow metal kidney bean, which hula-hoops around a central shaft to generate power"

BobsRX8GT
Validated Member

Re: Drivers window not closing

Post by BobsRX8GT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Still can't get mine apart to replace the great. Used a complete unit as a replacement thanks to Sp3nc3.

I'll have another crack at it over the break. Mine is pretty bloody solid closed.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk
Fellow Rotor fans gather now for our daily prayer.....

As I lay rubber down the street,
I pray for traction I can keep,
But if I spin and start to slide,
Please dear god protect my sweet ride.

Amen

spinner
Validated Member

Re: Drivers window not closing

Post by spinner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 pm

There are 2 small tabs that keep it closed, not really visible in the pictures I posted.
If you slide a knife blade between the 2 halves, along the joint line, eventually it will start to separate (I used a Swiss Army Knife) You will then be able to prize the tabs open, using small jewelers screwdrivers, & the unit will split in two. I broke 1 tab but it doesn't matter.
The first time it takes ages but once you have it the second one takes seconds.
I should get new gears this week so I will post more photos over the break.
After reading the .com forum I also found several after market units in the USA for $50 new. We get ripped off at times.
"The ingenious and decidedly weird Wankel rotary engine works by using internal combustion to bounce a fat metal triangle around inside a hollow metal kidney bean, which hula-hoops around a central shaft to generate power"